viernes, 4 de noviembre de 2022

4.8.MODAL PERFECT VERBS IN FOUR STEPS


 

STEP 1: CHOOSE THE CORRECT FORM:

Did Marvin's cat pass away? He _____________ felt really sad. 


couldn't have
should have
must have
might have


Why did my son become an actor when he had studied Law and  _____________ become a wealthy lawyer?

couldn't have
must have
shouldn't have
could have


If we had known about the lecture, we ____________ attended it. 

couldn't have
must have
would have
shouldn't have


I called the Stevensons, but no one answered. They ____________ gone to the country.


shouldn't have
mustn't have
might have
would have


Those cool musicians play beautifully together. They ________ practiced a lot.

couldn't have
must have
should have
would have
 
Dan passed his exams with excellent grades, despite not having prepared for it. 
a) The exam must have been very difficult.
b) The exam can't have been very difficult.
 
The police knew every detail of their phone conversation. 
a) They can't have done some wiretapping.
b) They must have done some wiretapping.
 
Christie did the opposite of what I asked her to do. 
a) She can't have understood what I said.
b) She must have understood what I said.
 
When I got home last evening, I found my door smashed. 
a) Someone can't have broken in.
b) Someone must have broken in.
 
 
STEP 2: COMPLETE WITH MODAL PERFECT VERBS: 
  1. Gloria has won every game she's played today. She  (practice) a lot.
  2. I don't have anything to wear today. I  (do) the laundry.
  3. Jack lost his wallet on the way to work. He  (lose) it on the bus.
  4. You did very well on the exam. You  (study) a lot.
  5. The Smiths  (build) their house anywhere. Why did he choose here?
  6. It's hot in here today. I (wear) a heavy sweater today.
  7. You  (feed) your dog. He has been hungry all day.
  8. Lucy shouldn't have stood on the broken chair. She  (fall).
  9.  (buy) more milk. I am almost out.
  10. I didn't do very well on the test.I  (spend) more time studying.

STEP THREE: REPHASINGS


1. I’m sorry that I didn’t study enough.   I should have studied more.
 
2i'I’m sure that he has finished the exercise.
He…

3. It wasn’t necessary for them to have reserved the tickets.
They…

4. I think that Ridley Scott didn’t direct this film.
Ridley Scott…

5. You didn’t write as many words as possible.
You…

6. It was wrong of you to go to that party.
You…

7. She was able to run faster but she didn’t.
She…

8. We are certain that it was a disaster.
It…

9. It wasn’t a good idea for the government to apply all those economic measures.
The government…

10I can’t believe your boyfriend began smoking.
Your boyfriend…
 

STEP FOUR: MAKE SURE YOU DON'T CONFUSE MODAL SIMPLE AND MODAL PERFECT FORMS:

MIXED MODAL VERBS REPHRSINGS

MORE MIXED MODAL VERBS REPHASINGS

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario