jueves, 3 de mayo de 2018

REPHRASING CONNECTORS

CONNECTORS 

ADVERSATIVE CLAUSES
1) She has plenty of money, but she is very mean. ALTHOUGH
-

2) I didn ́t buy the car, even though I had the money.  HOWEVER
-

3) She never takes any kind of exercise, but she is quite fit an healthy. THOUGH
-

4) They have a car but they rarely use it. ALTHOUGH
-

5) They went out for a walk, even though the weather was bad. ALTHOUGH
-

6) Despite being innocent he was sent to prison. NEVERTHELESS
-

7) A lot of people buy those houses, even though the prices are high.   HOWEVER
-

8) Our coach didn ́t arrive late, even though the traffic was terrible.  NEVERTHELESS
-

9) People continue to smoke, even though they know the dangers. HOWEVER
-

10) Despite being very tired, he stayed out late.  ALTHOUGH
-



PURPOSE CLAUSES
1) I am going to study harder. I want to pass my exam BECAUSE
-

2) A lot of people learn English because they want to study in England. IN ORDER TO
-
A lot of people learn English ...
3) He lifted me up because he wanted me to see what was happening. SO THAT
-
He lifted me up...
4) Try to write clearly. That way you will avoid being misunderstood. SO AS TO
-
Try to write clearly so as to...
5) What do I need to know, if I want to be a good doctor? TO
-
6) If you want to have a hundred students, you will need at least three teachers. TO
-
You will need at least three teachers... 
7) They had to eat grass and drink melted snow in order to stay alive. SO THAT
-
They had to eat grass and drink melted snow...
8) I sat next to the window because I wanted to see what was going on. TO
-

9) I waved my arms. I wanted them to see me. SO THAT
-

10) He does gymnastics in the bathroom to keep fit. IN ORDER TO
-
He does gymnastics in the bathroom ...
-
12) He took a taxi to the airport. That way he didn't miss the train. SO AS NOT
-
He took a taxi to the airport...

CAUSE CLAUSES
1) I opened the window due to the heat.
-
I opened the window because...
2) They lost the match due to the bad weather.
-
As...
3) She missed the bus so she had to take a taxi.
-
Since...

5) The weather was fine, so we decided to go out.
-
As...
6) He got the highest marks in the class; as a result, he received a prize.
-
Since...
7) The factory closed down as a result of so many strikes.
-
As there...
8) We still speak Italian at home, so I ́m bilingual.
-
I ́m bilingual because...
9) Joan eats very little so as not to put on weight.
-
Joan eats very little because...
EFFECT CLAUSES
1)We need to increase sales. Therefore, we ́ll start a new advertising campaign.
-
We need to increase sales, so...
2) We didn ́t go swimming because the water wasn ́t very clean.
-
The water wasn ́t very clean...
3) I ́m going to bed because I ́m really tired.
-
I ́m really tired so...
4) As I didn ́t know it was your birthday, I didn ́t buy you a present.
-
I didn ́t know it was your birthday so...
5) I left the cinema because the film was very boring.
-
The film was very boring, therefore...
6) As I didn ́t have any food in the fridge, I went to bed without dinner.
-
I didn ́t have any food in the fridge, consequently...
7) We don ́t trust politicians because they are always lying.
-
Politicians are always lying so...
8) I never go to that shop because the owner is very unfriendly.
-
The owner of that shop is very unfriendly so... 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario